Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Make your own Mod Podge?


While I was browsing Pinterest the other day I came across a tutorial on how to make your own Mod Podge - I certainly was intrigued since according to the tutorial all you need is school glue and water.  I was certainly was not pleased with my first results so here is my recipe and my lessons learned.

Mod Podge Recipe
1 bottle regular school glue (see lesson 1)
water (amount at your discretion - see lesson 3) 
Combine glue and water in a container and shake.

Lesson 1 for Homemade Mod Podge - Be careful on what type of school glue you buy.

My husband was kind enough to pick up our growing shopping list of items from Wal-Mart one night after work - which included school glue.  I noticed that the bottle of glue that he brought home for me was "washable".  I questioned whether washable glue would work for Mod Podge so I reference the tutorial that I had found and it appeared like they had used washable glue.  MAKE SURE USE A NON-WASHABLE SCHOOL GLUE (Want to know why??  See lesson 2)

Lesson 2 for Homemade Mod Podge - Do a test run.

For my project, I was Mod Podging (not sure if it is a real word but I will go with it) paper onto plastic drawers.  I had done about 8 total drawers before I was interrupted.  When I returned back to my project I noticed that nothing was sticking and the paper was pulling away from the plastic - this is when I came to the conclusion that washable glue does NOT work and that I should have taken the time to do only one drawer and wait for it to dry to see my results.  It sure would have been nice to only have to repodge (again not sure if really a word or not) one drawer instead of eight!  What a waste of my time - oh well - now I know better.

Lesson 3 for Homemade Mod Podge - If you don't think it seems right it isn't.

Lesson 3 has to do with the amount of water you add to your glue. The tutorial I had found said to do a 50/50 mixture.  I followed the direction even though while I was mixing together my Mod Podge solution and thinking it was way too runny and I still had a 1/2 bottle of water to add.  My end result - my 1st recipe was too runny - I should have trusted my instincts and just stopped at a 25% water to 75% glue ratio.  I did this ratio with my second batch that I made and I was super pleased with my results.

No comments:

Post a Comment